January 23, 2010

Leviticus 1-4

Leviticus 1-4

About the Book:

We are starting the third book in the Bible, the third book in the Pentateuch.  My time flies.

Leviticus draws together laws and rituals.  Topics covered in this book include: the ritual of sacrifice; the investiture of the priests, rules of cleanliness; and laws of Holiness.

About the Reading:

We begin with the ritual of sacrifice.  We are introduced to burnt offerings, cereal offerings, and communion sacrifice.  We read about the sacrifices for sin. 

My Thoughts and Notes:

Seems to me that God loves the smell of burning meat, doesn’t it?  I don’t mean that in the negative tone it seems to read.

I find it of particular interest that there is so much to sacrificing the animals.

Something that I had known, but was reminded of while reading this, was the fact that the Priest, the leader of the Church, should he sin, dooms his followers to the guilt.  Reading this reminds me of the weight that our Priests must live with.

They do so much for us, yet are held so highly accountable.

1 comment:

  1. The sacrificial system has now been established for the Israelites. Burnt offerings, grain offerings, sin offerings, fellowship offerings, wave offerings; did they have time for anything besides making offerings?

    I am glad that the final sacrifice has been made by our Lord Jesus Christ.

    ReplyDelete

Comments on this page are meant to be a discussion of the readings. This is a place to discuss your thoughts on the reading itself or in the commentary about the reading. Any comments that do not respect others will be immediatly deleted. If you would like to attack me or my beliefs, please do so in an email. DO NOT attack each other; however, challenging each others ideas in a respectful way will be encouraged.